Thursday, August 19, 2021

Summer is Really For Salads

Summer seemed to start a little early this year... at least it did in Houston. It has been in the mid-90's for at least the past two weeks. I'm loving the weather, but don't really feel like cooking or eating anything warm. When that feeling strikes, it is best to have a few homemade salads on hand. The tuna salad is a recent creation... I made it this way when the relish and miracle whip amounts I thought I had on hand had been depleated (I hear it was the cats). I created Awesome Pasta Salad several years ago, when I was helping my sister out with her newborn twins HD and RN. Not knowing anything about caring for kids... I put myself on kitchen duty.

Vic's Tuna Salad
2 7oz pouches white albacore tuna
10-12 slices sweet and hot pickles, diced
3 hard boiled eggs, diced
2 TBS Thousand Island dressing
1/4 cup miracle whip light, or more for desired consistency
garlic powder, to taste
pepper, to taste

Mix all the above and serve.

Awesome Pasta Salad
1/2 box whole wheat rotini, cooked, drained
2 cups broccoli florets, cooked with pasta during last minute of cooking
1 can chickpeas, drained
1 can ripe olives, drained
1 jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
4 green onions, slivered
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup red peppers, julienned
1 jar pepperocini peppers (whole)
2 garlic cloves, minced
8 oz mozzarella cheese
balsamic vinaigrette dressing

Combine the above ingredients in large bowl and mix. Best chilled overnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment