Thursday, August 19, 2021

Classic resurrected

Years ago... hate to mention how many... I purchased my first vegetarian cookbook (Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanne Lemlin) and the first dish I made from it was Mexican Stuff Squash. I can't begin to explain how heavenly the dish was. Our vegetable market had squash big enough to stuff, so I picked those up and decided to make this dish again. I can't remember the last time I made it, or why I stopped making it.

Mexican Style Stuff Squash
4 large yellow summer squash
1 TBS olive oil
1 medium size onion, diced
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
1 4 oz can green chiles, drained and diced
1 15 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
8 oz cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 cup sour cream

Cut the ends off the squash and discard. Slice each squash in half, lengthwise. With a teaspoon hollow out the squash until a shell is left, reserve insides. Fill a large pan with 1/2" inch of water. Place the squash halves in, cut side down and steam for 5 minutes. Remove and place in a prepared pan.

Chop the squash insides. Saute the onion in the oil until translucent. Add the jalapeno, cumin and oregano, cook 1 minute longer. Add the chopped squash insides and cook for 5 minutes longer. Add the chiles and pinto beans, cook until squash is tender. Allow to cool, then add the cheese and sour cream and mix well.

Fill the squash shells with the vegetable/bean/cheese mixture. Cook at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes until bubbly. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment