Thursday, August 19, 2021

Happy New Year

For as long as I can remember, my family has had a tradition of eating black-eyed peas on New Years day. Not particularly one of my favorite foods... but I still indulge in black-eyed peas every New Years, with my own twist. Today we had black-eyed peas and greens with mexican cornbread and finished up with a delightful blackberry cobbler.

Black-eyed Peas and Greens
1/4 cup barley
4 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup onion, finely diced
1/2 cup carrot, shredded
1/2 cup celery, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with jalapenos
12 oz bag fresh black-eyed peas
1 tsp oregano
fresh cracked black pepper
Collard greens, torn

Combine all ingredients in a soup pot, except oregano, pepper and greens. Bring to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes or until the peas are soft. Add seasonings, stir. Place the greens in soup bowls and ladle the soup on top of them. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment